Reinvestment Fund is currently seeking a Senior Director, Equitable Food Systems Lending to join its lending team with a particular focus on supporting food-related transactions. The position requires strong experience in financial analysis and structuring, with specific expertise in small business finance. Experience with and a network in food-related financing – and/or as an operator or developer of food-related businesses – would also be desirable, but is not required. A candidate with a strong background in the necessary technical skills but without a food-specific background could be successful in the position, capitalizing on Reinvestment Fund’s existing expertise and position in the food space.
ABOUT REINVESTMENT FUND
Reinvestment Fund is a mission-driven financial institution committed to making communities work for all people. We bring financial and analytical tools to partnerships that work to ensure that people in all communities have the opportunities they strive for: affordable places to live, access to nutritious food, schools where their children can succeed, and strong, local businesses that support jobs. We use data to understand markets and how transactions can have the most powerful impact, and we build coalitions that can shift how entire sectors work to dismantle systems that perpetuate social and economic inequality.
Reinvestment Fund’s investment program is unique in its range of expertise and approaches to financing. In addition to our core commercial lending activities, Reinvestment Fund also manages initiatives with the support of local or national foundations, and state, local and federal public agencies and governments. Since our inception in 1985, Reinvestment Fund has provided over $2.4 billion in financing to strengthen neighborhoods, scale social enterprises, and build resilient communities, where everyone can thrive and prosper.
Reinvestment Fund is currently undergoing a multi-year race, equity, and inclusion organizational change process, and we are seeking candidates who share a commitment to advancing racial equity and anti-racism practices and are prepared to engage in that work.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Reinvestment Fund’s Equitable Food Systems portfolio includes our core lending activities, as well as policy, advocacy, and programs supported by local and national foundations, and state, local and federal government. A growing series of programs work nationally and locally to strengthen food systems to improve access to healthy food, economic opportunity, and community inclusion in the food sector. Our lending practice includes financing food retail establishments, as well as other food systems enterprises including innovative food production, distribution, and point of service models. As we look ahead, our lending work will continue to evolve, with an intentional focus on advancing racial equity, including wealth building, entrepreneurship, and quality employment, for Black and other communities marginalized on the basis of race.
The Senior Director will have primary responsibility for managing Reinvestment Fund’s lending transactions related to food, as well as overseeing the deployment of specialized capital that Reinvestment Fund manages for food-related lending. Typical transactions include financing the construction or fit out of grocery stores and food distribution facilities, as well as other food systems businesses and organizations like food business incubators, food banks, and/or institutional food providers. In addition, the Senior Director will provide support to and help inform RF’s broader food strategy work, including policy and programmatic efforts, to ensure a unified strategy across RF’s activity in the food space.
While the position will be focused primarily on overseeing food-related loans, the Senior Director will also support other lending business lines when necessary, so the ideal candidate should have an interest in learning about RF’s other lending business lines, including affordable housing, health care, education, and sustainability/clean energy, and how they intersect with food.
- Lead transaction structuring, underwriting, and loan closing activities for food related loans at Reinvestment Fund. This work will include the following:
- Conducting diligence on borrowers for both mission fit and financial feasibility – reviewing documents, conducting interviews, coordinating and analyzing third party reports (business valuations, appraisals etc.)
- Preparing term sheets and negotiating terms with borrowers
- Authoring credit memorandums
- Negotiating loan documents (with support of outside counsel and a loan closer)
- Manage relationships with food-related borrowers in Reinvestment Fund’s portfolio. With support from Reinvestment Fund’s servicing and portfolio management teams, the Senior Director will:
- Oversee loan draws
- Support extensions and other loan modifications
- Support regular portfolio reviews of the food loan portfolio
- Conduct business development activities to support the growth of the food portfolio, in alignment with Reinvestment Fund’s equitable food systems strategy, including attending and presenting at conferences and other gatherings to provide exposure for Reinvestment Fund’s food lending work.
- Oversee the deployment of specialized capital managed at Reinvestment Fund for the purpose of food-related lending. This will include ensuring the funds are deployed to maximum impact and economic effect, in line with any fund requirements and Reinvestment Fund’s equitable food systems strategy.
- Working with the Program Director, Healthy Food Financing Initiative, support the continued development and implementation of Reinvestment Fund’s equitable food systems strategy, including supporting program design, fundraising, and implementation of new loan products, programs, and funds.
- Across all of these functions, consciously contribute to Reinvestment Fund’s priorities to advance racial equity.
- 7+ years of relevant professional experience in small business lending, project finance or a related field with demonstrated success and increasing responsibility OR a 7+ years of experience at a senior level in a food-related business with responsibility for business growth, corporate financing, or similar.
- Understanding of and experience with critical diligence support tools like business valuations and appraisals.
- Demonstrated commitment to Reinvestment Fund’s mission
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with diverse individuals, communities, and groups on complex issues.
- Proficient in MS Office – Word, Excel, Powerpoint.
- Experience conducting business development activities.
- Experience working in environments that blend mission and business objectives.
- Experience overseeing public or philanthropic funding, including compliance with funding requirements.
- Familiarity with Salesforce, other CRMs.
- Bachelor’s degree and advanced degree (MBA, MPA, or related).
Reinvestment Fund is maintaining a 100% remote work environment to at least January 2022 due to COVID. Reinvestment Fund expects to provide a flexible work arrangement that will be a hybrid home/office work arrangement in 2022 and beyond. It is anticipated that a combination of working remote and a minimum of days in the RF office location will allow for face-to-face interactions. Depending on the nature of the job, a more flexible work schedule may be considered.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Reinvestment Fund offers a competitive salary based on experience and skills, as well as an excellent benefits package including employer-paid health, disability and life insurance, 401(k) savings plan with employer match, flexible spending accounts (medical, dependent care and transportation), tuition reimbursement, paid time off, and EAP program.
Please complete the online application form attaching your resume and a cover letter.
Reinvestment Fund uses E-Verify to validate all new hires’ ability to legally work in the United States. Reinvestment Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, non-job related disability, or status as a veteran. Reinvestment Fund is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) throughout our Organization and in our external investment practices.
Reinvestment Fund, Inc. has an affiliate, RF Impact Advisers, Inc. (“RFIA”) that is a state-registered investment adviser. In order to advance compliance with and prevent violations of federal and state securities laws and to avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest, RFIA has adopted a Code of Ethics to govern certain conduct of its staff, including certain staff of Reinvestment Fund because Reinvestment Fund is an advisory affiliate of RFIA. As part of this Code of Ethics, there are specific personal reporting and other requirements and disclosures of personal financial and/or securities transactions information. For certain individuals this reporting will extend to your household members. You may be subject to a background check.Apply For Position