Reinvestment Fund is a mission-driven financial institution committed to making communities work for all people. We bring financial and analytical tools to partnerships that work to ensure that people in all communities have the opportunities they strive for: affordable places to live, access to nutritious food, schools where their children can succeed, and strong, local businesses that support jobs. We use data to understand markets and how transactions can have the most powerful impact, and we build coalitions that can shift how entire sectors work to dismantle systems that perpetuate social and economic inequality.
Reinvestment Fund’s investment program is unique in its range of expertise and approaches to financing. In addition to our core commercial lending activities, Reinvestment Fund also manages initiatives with the support of local or national foundations, and state, local and federal public agencies and governments. Since our inception in 1985, Reinvestment Fund has provided over $2.4 billion in financing to strengthen neighborhoods, scale social enterprises, and build resilient communities, where everyone can thrive and prosper.
About the position
Reinvestment Fund is currently hiring a Senior Director, New Markets Tax Credits within the lending and investment department. This individual will take ownership of all aspects of deployment, portfolio management, compliance, impact reporting and unwinds of Reinvestment Fund’s New Markets Tax Credits (NMTC) portfolio. Reinvestment Fund has received over $600 million of NMTC allocations since the program’s inception. Reinvestment Fund’s NMTC strategy is centered in racial equity, community engagement, and climate justice. This position is part of a team of high capacity professionals tasked with meeting the needs of our high mission borrowers in a fiscally responsible manner. The Senior Director, New Markets Tax Credits will report to Reinvestment Fund’s Managing Director, Structured Finance.
- Manage Reinvestment Fund’s NMTC program including building project pipeline in concert with strategy developed with Managing Director, Structured Finance, community advisory board, and other internal stakeholders.
- Independently manage the full NMTC financing deal cycle, from term sheet through closing to exit; coordinate underwriting, approvals and closings with loan officers and work closely with portfolio, finance and impact team members to ensure industry leading compliance standards are kept and project impacts are maximized.
- In conjunction with Managing Director, Structured Finance, effectively communicate with and manage relationships with key internal and external partners, including investors, consultants, project / QALICB sponsors, Reinvestment’s Finance and Communications and senior leaders, and other CDEs.
- Provide significant support to the strategy and development of Reinvestment Fund’s NMTC application and marketing and strategic communications for Reinvestment Fund’s NMTC program.
- Develop and implement a Racial Equity framework to apply for new projects in our NMTC program and revise all communications and application materials to be clear and consistent on our program priorities.
- Develop, deploy and manage new predevelopment loan product for community transformational projects with a priority of supporting Black owned or led organizations utilize NMTCs and other community development subsidy programs.
- Identify opportunities to build new partnerships that lead to new leverage source and other NMTC-related on-balance sheet lending opportunities.
- While the position does not currently have direct reports, it is expected to have oversite responsibilities for portfolio and asset management activities performed by other staff.
Qualified candidates should have a community development finance background, experience in loan origination, outstanding organizational skills and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. Prior NMTC experience is a must. Experience with Federal and State Historic Tax Credits, and other public financial incentive programs for community development is preferred. The successful candidate will have a track record of working collaboratively on projects and will have a demonstrated affinity for working in a team setting yet be able to successfully work independently and maintain an entrepreneurial spirit. He or she will be passionate about using finance as a tool to change people’s lives for the better. While Reinvestment Fund is observing social distancing, candidate must be able to work remotely (laptop computer to be provided).
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree or J.D. a plus
- Minimum of 6-10 years of experience in community development finance, including “hands-on” experience underwriting, structuring, and supporting all aspects of complex NMTC projects and their QALICB sponsors.
- Must be highly organized and detail oriented with demonstrated ability to prioritize and complete conflicting deliverables on-time.
- Must balance day to day functions with “big picture” perspective and achieving long-term goals
- Demonstrate technical expertise and a willingness and ability to work with others to achieve goals.
- Ability to effectively synthesize information, organize logical arguments and summarize key points.
- Familiarity with standard NMTC projections, NMTC requirements and legal documents, including but not limited to loan documentation, limited partnership agreements, community benefit agreements, and flexible product and but for documentation.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Must be an effective communicator (both written and verbal) to a diverse audience.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint at a minimum.
- Familiarity with Salesforce, Microsoft TEAMS or Sharepoint or other relevant software.
In Addition, Strong Candidates Will Offer:
- Familiarity with industry conferences, NMTC 101 presentations for new and aspiring QALICBs.
- Familiarity with state NMTC program opportunities
- Serve or have served on a community advisory board for another community development entity.
Compensation and Benefits:
Reinvestment Fund offers a competitive salary based on experience and skills, as well as an excellent benefits package including employer-paid health, disability and life insurance, 401(k) savings plan with employer match, flexible spending accounts (medical, dependent care and transportation), tuition reimbursement, paid time off, and EAP program.
Please complete the online application and attach your resume and a cover letter.
Reinvestment Fund uses E-Verify to validate all new hires’ ability to legally work in the United States. Reinvestment Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, non-job related disability, or status as a veteran. Reinvestment Fund is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) throughout our Organization and in our external investment practices.
Reinvestment Fund, Inc. has an affiliate, RF Impact Advisers, Inc. (“RFIA”) that is a state-registered investment adviser. In order to advance compliance with and prevent violations of federal and state securities laws and to avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest, RFIA has adopted a Code of Ethics to govern certain conduct of its staff, including certain staff of Reinvestment Fund because Reinvestment Fund is an advisory affiliate of RFIA. As part of this Code of Ethics, there are specific personal reporting and other requirements and disclosures of personal financial and/or securities transactions information. For certain individuals this reporting will extend to your household members. You may be subject to a background check.Apply For Position