A Transformation in East Baltimore
A. Hoen & Co. was once among the most important lithographers in the US—its iconic prints included early National Geographic maps. At its peak, its complex in East Baltimore employed over 250 people. When the business closed in 1981, it left a dominating vacancy in a neighborhood that has also struggled with vacant homes and unemployment. This year, with financing from Reinvestment Fund, the complex is finally being redeveloped, breathing new life and hope into the neighborhood. Visible from the rail line just east of the city, the redevelopment will transform the 80,000 square foot, five building complex into a Center for Neighborhood Innovation that will house several community serving nonprofits focused on education, supportive services and workforce training. Read More
Helping More Children Access Healthy, Nutritious Meals
Reinvestment Fund is working to increase access to healthy, nutritious meals for children from vulnerable populations in New Jersey. The New Jersey Child Nutrition Fund (NJCNF) offers capital and technical assistance to increase participation in two federal nutrition programs. The Summer Food Service Program provides free meals and snacks to help children and teens in low-income areas get the nutrition they need throughout the summer months when they are out of school and do not have access to school breakfast and lunch programs; the Child and Adult Care Food Program provides reimbursement for meals and snacks for eligible children enrolled at participating childcare centers, childcare homes, or afterschool programs. Participation rates for both programs are low across the state. Just a 2.25% increase in participation in each program would result in roughly 10,000 more children receiving regular meals. NJCNF is funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Read More
News & Resources
- New analysis: Reinvestment Fund study finds that approximately one-third of metro Atlanta’s potential demand for child care is unmet.
- Just released: Report on key observations and recommendations to improve financial stability of child care providers. Learn more about the Fiscal Hub Project.
- Article: Want to really impact a community? Invest in a CDFI.
- Webinar: PolicyMap MapChats webinar explores how to use data for more efficient and effective government services.
- Article: In a country increasingly defined by the extreme divergence in wealth, the devastating effects of the disappearing middle are threatening the livelihoods of all.
- News: The Baltimore Sun highlights a blighted mansion in West Baltimore that will become a 16-unit apartment building with financing from Reinvestment Fund.
- Profile: Reinvestment Fund financing is helping to preserve healthcare in a rural community in Louisiana.
Work With Us